If you’re looking for practical ways to heal after terminating your pregnancy, or you’re a casualty of an abortion someone else had, I created this list of 20 Ways to Memorialize an Aborted Baby. Although many consider abortion to only harm the “fetus”, the tragic reality is, abortion often causes great harm to women, men and those close to them.
One way some people process their loss, is by memorializing their baby in one way or another.
Recent statistics show that, by the age of 45, one in every 2.5 women in the United States have had at least one abortion. The stigma associated with the procedure is one reason women typically don’t seek help for their post-abortion trauma. If that’s you, I hope this list of Creative Ways to Memorialize Your Aborted Baby will encourage you to move forward in your recovery because, even though suffering in isolation feels safe in the short term, it can magnify your grief over time.
I don’t want that for you.
If you’ve wondered if something was wrong with you for feeling bad after your abortion, it’s not! Most women who’ve had an abortion experience regret after. Giving your unborn baby the dignity of a memorializing event may be healing for you. Here are 20 Ideas of Ways to Honor the Life of the Aborted.
20 Ways to Memorialize an Aborted Baby
- Create a keepsake box for your aborted baby — add to it over time if you desire.
- Plant a tree, bush, or perennial flowers in the baby’s memory.
- Give your aborted baby the dignity of a name.
- Compose a poem for your baby or recite one that’s meaningful.
- Sent balloons free with scriptures or micro love notes for your baby inside each balloon.
- Make a Certificate of Life on behalf of your aborted child (FREE Download Below) or have one made for you.
- Create a music playlist in honor of baby to be played when it feels appropriate.
- Create a work of art to commemorate your baby.
- Have a lantern lighting and sending in honor of your baby.
- Tell your story on an abortion recovery message board or write on the Abortion Memorial Website.
- Create and perform a dance dedicated to your baby — no one besides you needs to know it’s in honor of her.
- Conduct a memorial service in your own home or special location, privately or with your closest friends and family.
- Donate time or money to your local Crisis Pregnancy Center in honor of your aborted baby.
- Attend a memorial service put together at an after-abortion outreach center.
- Have a ring engraved with baby’s name, date of conception, or loss date to wear in rememberence.
- Donate money or baby care items to a single parent.
- Write a letter to your aborted baby and communicate what’s in your heart. [FREE Download]
- Become the “Secret Santa” to a needy child for gift giving on holidays, special occasions, or just because!
- Place a plaque at the National Memorial for the Unborn.
- Find a way to transform your loss into helping others struggling in the same way. Don’t be afraid or ashamed to share your abortion story at the appropriate time.
Certificate of Life for Aborted Baby – FREE Printable
This Certificate of Life acknowledges the importance of a baby whose life was cut short. Some people affected by abortion choose to give the baby a name. Assigning a name provides dignity and recognizes the baby’s personhood. Mothers are not the only ones impacted by abortion. A biological father or grandparent, in grief, may want to designate a name for the little one they’ll never know as a part of their own healing journey.
These are just 20 Ways to Honor the Memory of the Aborted, but you can recognize the baby’s life in countless ways. You can also get inspired by reading stories others have shared about how they’ve memorialized their babies. I’m sorry for your pain, dear one, I hope these resources will be helpful to you on your path to wholeness.
TAKE ACTION: If you’ve been impacted by abortion, don’t let shame or embarrassment keep you from getting the help you need. I’m rooting for you. I pray you receive the deep, lasting healing God desires for you.
For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39